[meteorite-list] Which meteorite showers were visible in the USA in December 1847?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 09:08:56 -0700

Although not a major shower that year, I'd suspect the Andromedids. This
shower is associated with the comet 3D/Biela, which broke up around the
time you are interested in, resulting in years with impressive meteor
storms, as well as an increase in fireball rates. Because of the comet
breakup, there was a lot of interest at the time in this shower, and it
was observed on December 6, 1847.

Today, the Andromedids are a very minor shower which peaks in mid-November.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com