[meteorite-list] Which meteorite showers were visible in the USA in December 1847?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 10:06:14 -0700

They used to be called the Bielids. These were definitely being studied
closely by astronomers in 1847, and there is a record of their
observation for that year. I have no idea if the 1847 shower was strong
enough to attract public interest- it certainly was no great storm. If a
paper were reporting on the scientific observation, it would probably
have been after December 6.

The Geminids are another possibility, although this shower was not known
before the 1860s. But that doesn't mean that the debris stream wasn't
there, or that we couldn't have encountered a dense region in 1847.
Geminids are active in the first week of December, although they peak in
mid-December (and did so 100 years ago, as well).

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com