[meteorite-list] Impact evidence in trees?

From: Impactika at aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 15:48:16 -0500 (EST)

And snow storms can do that too.

_http://www.impactika.com/bent%20tree.jpg_ (http://www.im
pactika.com/bent%20tree.jpg)

That tree is still alive and well in my front yard, but it did have to be
trimmed a bit.

Anne M. Black
_http://www.impactika.com/_ (http://www.impactika.com/)
_IMPACTIKA at aol.com_ (mailto:IMPACTIKA at aol.com)
Vice-President, I.M.C.A. Inc.
_http://www.imca.cc/_ (http://www.imca.cc/)

In a message dated 12/20/2011 1:34:10 PM Mountain Standard Time,
meteoritesnorth at hotmail.ca writes:
Hello Mike and List:
First of all...Seasons Greetings to all! Hope you all get the rocks you
want!

Regarding these trees. Notice that there is a very clear 90 degree seam at
the bend. What is done here is a grafting technique, where a 90 degree
wedge is taken out when the tree is very young <5years, and it is folded over
on itself , then treated with Plant growth hormones for rapid healing. It is
sealed with a wax tape Then it is shaped as it grows until it reaches the
desired shape. This is a lot of work to get the desired results. I agree
with Sergey that is is used in furniture making - very expensive furniture.

I have seen 'living' furniture too. Live trees that have been bent and
grafted into ladders, benches, chairs. Takes years to do well.

Cheers all.

Craig Moody
Univ. of Guelph - Horticulture - Go Aggies!
IMCA #6276