[meteorite-list] 2011 - Year of the Hammer (A review of new meteorite falls in 2011)

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 20:32:30 -0500

Greetings List Members,

Looking back on 2011, this was not a busy year for falls in terms of
frequency, but the falls that we did have were very interesting.

Over the previous 10 years, we have averaged about five new falls per
year. In 2011, we have had four new falls. Two of those new falls
have been classified and approved by Met Soc - Soltmany and Thika.
The other two falls are still awaiting official classification and
approval - Draveil and Tata.

Interestingly, we had two hammer falls within one week in July -
Draveil (France) and Thika (Kenya). We are all familiar with Thika,
thanks to the hard work of Metlist members who flew to Kenya to
document and recover the fall. Mike Farmer's harrowing experience
made for great reading because it sounded like something straight out
of a movie. Thankfully, the Thika story had a happy ending because
Farmer made it back alive and in one piece.

However, the Soltmany, Draveil, and Thika falls have been overshadowed
lately by news of a new Martian meteorite fall that took place
sometime in July 2011. This new fall was kept quiet for several
months, but details about it have finally leaked out. This new
Martian fall is being called "Tata" for now and it is also awaiting
official classification and approval. We have not seen a new Martian
fall in decades and there is palpable excitement in the meteorite
world as dealers, collectors, and hunters compete with each other to
acquire stones from the Tata fall.

As 2011 winds down, I find myself wondering - what will the New Year
of 2012 hold for meteorites? And how long will it take for Draveil
and Tata to be approved by Met Soc? Will they languish in unofficial
status like Zunhua and Breja, or will they get speedy approval? I
would bet that Tata gets approved soon, by virtue of it's importance.
The only question remaining in my mind is - will Tata be awarded it's
own name and fall status, or will it be assigned another NWA xxxx
number as a find?

I updated my Recent Meteorite Falls page to reflect the new Tata fall
- http://www.galactic-stone.com/pages/falls

Best regards and Happy New Year,

MikeG

Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/42h79my