[meteorite-list] Apollo Moon rock sample on eBay?

From: Count Deiro <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 03:16:12 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Hi Steve and List,

Thanks for posting the link to your very informative video. Congratulations on what must be one of the all time best "sniping" incidents on EBay. You do have the "real deal".

Listers might not know that the international auction house, Sothebys, auctioned dust from a Russian unmanned lunar mission. In 1970 the Soviet Union sent an automated sample-return mission to the moon and three fragments collected on this mission, weighing just 200 milligrams, were sold by Sotheby's Vice Chairman, David Redden, for $442.500.00. The sale was held in 1993, so in today's dollars we are probably talking near a million.

You lucky dog.

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536