[meteorite-list] Tucson 2011

From: wahlperry at aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 20:00:18 -0500 (EST)

Hi List,

We just wanted to say what a great time we had in Tucson. It is always
exciting to see all of our friends in the meteorite community as well
as meeting new meteorite enthusiasts. We saw some great meteorites
including a huge Semychan meteorite in Marvin Kilgore's display. The
Birthday Bash was a lot of fun for everyone, even the fuzzy white cat.
A special thanks to John Blennert for giving us a wonderful insight on
hunting the Gold Basin strewnfield. If it wasn't for John I probably
still wouldn't know what a meteorite looks like! Thanks to Michael
Blood for a great auction. Everyone enjoys the auction and the
camaraderie. Twink's Gold Basin cake was delicious. Some lucky winners
were able to find a meteorite in their pieces of cake! Ruben and the
Woodell's did a terrific job with the live broadcast. Arizona Keith and
Gary Fujihara were excellent at capturing the pictures and getting
them online for everyone. The weather started out very cold but today
it is 70 degrees at 5PM. If any of you get a chance you should check
out Geoff Notkin's new meteorite hunting book. Another must have for
your collection. On a side note Brix took his snake avoidance training
refresher course. We used live rattlesnakes that had been muzzled
(that's something to see a muzzled rattlesnake). Within moments Brix
picked up the scent of the snake and made a hasty retreat to the car.
We are glad to see he has retained his training and remembers the smell
of a rattler.

Sonny, Georgia and Brix