[meteorite-list] Auction

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 12:25:25 +0100

Hi there Captain,

don't worry.

I mean, almost every year there are complaints on the list about the
auctions, about yours or remember about Lang's.

I really don't know. As I understood, and as I perceived it, when we were
there, your auction is a meteorite-scene-internal event,
a fun, a come-together of the meteorite people, entertaining with a little
thrill
in a familiar atmosphere.
Hence not first and foremost a commercial event to earn money.
(For that, everyone can at anytime play in that anonymous ebay-thing or they
can give their stuff to professional auction houses).

I don't know, those who almost every year complain, I doubt that they would
be happier if your auction wouldn't take place anymore.

And to hire a professional auctioneer, adding additionally high surcharges
on the hammer prices, makes no sense, especially because such one would
always be a person, who can't have any ideas about the lots he is
auctioning.

So I find it a little bit weird, that there are less list-postings than
rant-mails, which simply say:
Thank you, Captain Blood and all the helpers, for doing that all each year.

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----