[meteorite-list] Looking to Buy. Trying to "complete" my type set. THERE IS A NEW CHONDRITE TYPE....

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 14:34:39 -0800 (PST)

Hello Richard Listers,

Not sure if you seen the news about Almahata Sitta, but I think this would be up your alley because you collect Type meteorites. Take a look at the new findings from the MAPS journal from OCT-NOV issue.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2010M%26PS...45.1657H

Abstract

Among the several hundred, mostly small meteorite fragments, recovered within the Almahata Sitta strewn field, one fragment (MS-CH), weighing 5.68 g, was detected that represents a new type of chondritic meteorite. The detection of short-lived cosmogenic radionuclides clearly indicates that this chondrite fragment results from a fresh meteorite fall consistent with the Almahata Sitta event in October 2008. The fundamental mineralogical characteristics of the Almahata Sitta fragment MS-CH can be summarized as follows: (1) the almost equilibrated olivine has high Fa contents of about 36 mole%. The fragment is of petrologic type 3.8 ? 0.1; (2) the metal abundance of the rock is on the order of 2.5 vol%; (3) the mean chondrule size has been determined to be roughly 450 ?m; (4) point-counting and imaging indicate that the matrix abundance is approximately 45 vol%; (5) Cr-spinels have much lower TiO2 concentrations than typical spinels within R chondrites;
 (6) calcium-aluminum-rich inclusions are spinel-rich and severely altered having abundant Na- and/or Cl-rich alteration products. Spinel also contains significant concentrations of Fe and Zn; (7) magnetites and platinum-group element-rich phases (sulfides, tellurides, and arsenides) characteristic of both R and CK chondrites were not found in fragment MS-CH; and (8) the mean oxygen isotope composition of three small fragments of Almahata Sitta MS-CH is ?17O = +4.35?, ?18O = +4.94?, and ?17O = +1.76?. The oxygen isotopes relate MS-CH to R chondrites. No established chondrite group having all these characteristics exists.

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
eBaystore
http://shop.ebay.com/photophlow/m.html

[meteorite-list] Looking to Buy. Trying to "complete" my type set
Richard Kowalski damoclid at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 16:45:17 EST 2011