[meteorite-list] Looking to Buy. Trying to "complete" my type set. THERE IS A NEW CHONDRITE TYPE....

From: Galactic Stone <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 18:12:09 -0500

The intrepid type collector, forever at the mercy of nomenclature.
What was once CV4 is now CK4. Over time, the type collection
continues to grow and grow.

According to David Weir's Meteorite Studies website, here is a
condensed breakdown of the known types -

Carbonaceous Chondrites :

CI (Ivuna)
CM1 (Murchison)
CM2 (subdivided into CM2.0 to CM2.6)
CM3
CO3 (Ornans) (subdivided into CO3.03 to CO3.7)
CV (Vigarano) (also CV2 and CV3)
CK (Karoonda) (CK4, CK5, CK6)
CR (Renazzo) (CR1, CR2, CR3)
CB (Bencubbin)
CH
CR ungrouped
C4 ungrouped
C ungrouped (Tagish Lake, others)

Ordinary Chondrites :

Rumuruti R3 (subdivided into R3.5-6 to R3.9)
R4
R5
R6

LL (subdivided into LL3.0 to LL3.9)
LL4
LL5
LL5/6
LL6
LL6/7
LL7
LL impact melt

LL transitional (L/LL3 to L/LL6)
L (subdivided into L3.0 to L3.9)
L4
L5
L6
L6/7
L7
L impact melt

H/L transitional (H/L3 to H/L6 IMB, H/L3.6 to H/L3-4)
H (subdivided into H3.0 to H3.9)
H4
H5
H6
H7
H impact melt
ungrouped ordinary chondrites

Enstatite Chondrites :

EL (EL3 to EL7)
EL impact melt
EH/L
EH (EH3 to EH7)
EH impact melt
ungrouped enstatite chondrites

K (Kakangari)

Meta-chondrites (M-CV, M-CR, M-H, M-LL)

Primitive Chondrites :

Acapulcoite
Lodranite
Winonaites
ungrouped primitive chondrites

Achondrites :

Howardite (subdivided into fragmental breccia and regolith breccia)
Eucrite (monomict and polymict with each having subclasses)
Diogenite (monomict and polymict)
Olivine Diogenite
Dunite
Ureilite (monomict and polymict)

Martian achondrites :

Shergottite
Pyroxene-phyric basaltic shergottite
Olivine-phyric basaltic shergottite
Olivine-orthopyroxene-phyric basaltic shergottite
Pyroxene-peridotitic (Wehrlitic) shergottite
Lherzolitic shergottite
Diabasic shergottite

Nakhlite
Chassignite
Orthopyroxenite (ALH 84001)

Lunar Achondrites :

Feldspathic breccias
Regolith breccia
Fragmental breccia
Impact melt breccia
Granulitic breccia
Mafic-rich
Thorium-rich
KREEP-rich

Mingled Breccia
Mare Basalt

Other Achondrites :

Angrites (Plutonic and Basaltic)
Brachinite
Aubrite
ungrouped achondrites (Ibitira, Pasamonte, etc)

Stony-Irons :

Mesosiderites (1A,1B,2A,2B,2C,3A,3B,4A,4B)
ungrouped mesosiderites

Pallasites (Main Group, Eagle Station group, Pyroxene group)
Pallasite-am (anomalous, PMG-am, PMG-as)
ungrouped pallasites

Iron meteorites :

IAB
IC