[meteorite-list] Pasamonte-B

From: Chris Spratt <cspratt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 09:48:27 -0800

Maybe Michael Cottingham can assist.

"Pasamonte (b) was recovered from Union County, New Mexico during August
of 2001. One stone chondrite meteorite, 185 grams, was found by Michael
Cottingham who wrote the following on this find; "My wife Wren and I
spent a lot of time this summer hunting The Pasamonte Strewnfield
looking for more of the Pasamonte (Eucrite). This Eucrite is way too
fragile to have survived on the ground since its fall....but I needed to
get this search out of my mind once and for all. We hiked and searched
the Pasamonte Strewnfield for several hundred hours and probably walked
over 100 miles....searching...searching. While we didn't find any of the
Eucrites....we did find this one little stone tucked away in an eroded
area. Gary Huss at ASU did the work on this stone and it is an L6. I
think it is very pretty and with a low known weight very desirable. The
closest landmark was the Pasamonte Ranch..... hence the name Pasamonte
(b). N 36 degree 14. 562 by W 103 degree 45.515..... this is w the stone
was found." Arizona State University got ~24 grams for the
classification work. Description by Mark Bostick."

Chris. Spratt
Victoria, BC