[meteorite-list] The Trials and Tribulations in Dealing with Landowners

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 10:43:28 -0800 (PST)

I think this represents more than just a "black eye" We may be the last
generation that can hunt freely for them without sever repercussions. Hunters
have already been jailed and it is just a matter of time before somebody is shot
on private property figuring it is an easy way to riches. There is always a
backlash associated with peoples actions. I don't think this was considered
ahead of time by the few that are now impacting all us.

I saw the video Dirk posted and was appalled by the look in that farmers eyes
and the tone of his voice. I hope not too many people have seen this video
because it is very discouraging. I have seen this disdain before in the eyes of
landowners when treasure hunters failed to treat them with respect. It only
takes a few holes left behind on somebody's property, a cattle gate left open or
the failure to make good on a promise to ruin it for everybody else.

This is a very sad development but I could see it coming with the popularization
of meteorite hunting and the connection to treasure hunting. There used to be
line between the two but now it has become blurred.

Adam