[meteorite-list] The Trials and Tribulations in Dealing with Lando wners

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 01:27:49 -0800 (PST)

Hello Martin and Listers,

Martin I liked a couple points you brought up in this post and liked the one about institutions and collectors......

"and there STILL some curators exist who seriously state, that commercial
trade and private hunting/collecting would cause damage to science"

I feel that with some institutions leading by this mind set can have a negative effect on the continuation with meteoritic science. I think the dealer,hunter,collector,reseller, scientist all have a common goal and is to continue the development of meteoritic awareness, and understanding of science. Without one of these elements, the hopes and dreams of meteoritic science could be halted like how it can been seen in Australia, where science makes it a priority to make meteorites property of the state. By institutionalizing a stance on science can have a irreparable consequence on the further development of understanding where we came from through meteorites by halting hunting and only hindering the greater understanding of science instutionalization.

Some can speculate that dealers,hunters,collectors make it difficult for institutions to acquire meteorites. However these institutions keep forgetting that they have a great amount of meteorites at there disposal to conduct trades, exchanges with people to gain more meteorites in a given collection. A good example would be the Murry or Murchison meteorite fall, the Smithsonian has over 5000 grams of those two meteorites, and if some reason they dont have a meteorite for the collection and was presented an opportunity for a trade, one could do so by the great amount of meteorites the Smithsonian has.

To disengage with all aspects for dealing and collecting meteorites on any level can cause discomfort in the meteoritic science section. My understand is not to hinder but to allow everyone to have the equal?opportunity to have and gain accesses to meteorites. Why hold back, I feel by sharing and trading between scientist/collectors/dealers can pave a new direction in meteorites science, especially when budgets keep getting cut. We have to come together and work together to persevere meteorites and their understanding they present to science and continue the understanding where we came from through meteorites.
?
Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
eBaystore
http://shop.ebay.com/photophlow/m.html

[meteorite-list] The Trials and Tribulations in Dealing with Lando wners
Martin Altmann altmann at meteorite-martin.de
Mon Feb 21 21:10:15 EST 2011

Hi Mike,

I changed my pills. And saw how stupid I am. (o.k. that isn't really new).

We simply have to switch the perspective!

10 years ago, if a dealer sold 1 gram of Moon in a month and nothing else,
than he had a good life,
and when he did so 15 years ago, a very very good one.
Or 10grams of a howardite per month, and his children were proud on their
daddy.

Today 10g Howardite bring you 100 lousy bucks and 1g Moon 1000$ without
costs yet and before taxes.

Nothing more to say about the good ol'times...

...and there STILL some curators exist who seriously state, that commercial
trade and private hunting/collecting would cause damage to science

and that especially in these very times they wouldn't be able to compete
anymore because of the privateers making meteorites so unaffordable for
them.

Unbelievable - but you can read that everywhere.
And that makes any discussion so difficult, because you'd have to start at
zero, at the basics with them.

(And I thought natural science would have to do something with exact figures
and numbers :-)

And I bet a Martian main mass, that after they have brought the find rates
so down with their prohibition,
that meteorites will cost then 10, 20, 30 times more than today,
that they will then again pass the buck to the dealers/hunters/collectors
making them responsible for the horrible prices. You'll see!

Good Night!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----