[meteorite-list] Pat's Stabilizing Process {was: The trials...}

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 13:52:33 -0500

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the process you use. When I first moved to Florida I met with
some of the old time treasure hunters who shared their methods of conserving
ship wreck items (iron cannons, cannon balls, muskets, etc.) using the
Reverse Electrolysis method using Red Devil Lye or Soda Ash as the
electrolyte. They used electric current in their process, but it is nice to
know electricity is not necessary. I did some items for two years,
babysitting the process, replacing electrodes and solution every few months
(a very messy job). I think I will try your process as well.

After you have run your process on some of the irons or pallasites, have you
sliced them afterwards? Just curious if the process of soaking them somehow
stains or discolors them in any way.

Best Regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe