[meteorite-list] Tucson Auction

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 15:08:51 -0700

Dennis Miller wrote:

> It is more than an auction, it's a social event. Most of the time
> Mike has to stop the chatting between folks, that don't see each
> other but during Tucson. A lot to get caught up on. Bidding can get
> comical, worth sometimes has nothing with the price. If someone
> wants something, then they'll go for it. (A dead termite for $70.00)
> I about died! You can get deals, you can pay whatever you want. It's
> just a lot of fun and a party in itself. Plus you get Meteorite
> Cake! Great folks be rub elbows with!

Dear Dennis and List:

Yours is the best post I've seen on this topic, and you hit the nail
right on the head, thank you. I've had the pleasure of attending every
one of Michael Blood's Tucson auctions, and I thought this year's was
easily the best: Great lots (many of them with no reserve),
enthusiastic bidders, excellent auction staff, a full house, and lots
of fun all around.

Michael's auction is not a Christie's auction. It is a lively and
informal social event where we reconnect with friends, and there are
always some bargains and always some surprises. I was running two
selling venues at the gem show this year, and the auction was one of
my few opportunities to get out and see the gang so it was especially
enjoyable for me.

Add to that Michael's unique character -- certainly one of the most
colorful and popular guys in meteorites -- and you have a winning
combination all around. I bid higher than I normally would have on a
couple of lots, just because it was fun and I was in the mood. I was
delighted with my acquisitions, and I was delighted by the hammer
prices of the two lots that Steve and I entered. I wouldn't miss
Michael's auction for anything.

See you next year.

Cheers,

Geoff N.