[meteorite-list] Tucson Auction #1

From: mail at mhmeteorites.com <mail_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 03:01:02 +0000

Hi Kevin and list:
Kevin, while I appreciate what you are doing and applaud you for putting together a detailed and extensive list, I will just say that I think any price guides in any field are problematic. All collectibles are worth only what one is willing to pay. Coinage may be a different situation since there is underlying value in the metal commodity and there are fairly accurate mintage numbers.

A good example are home values. An owner can ask 500k for their home but only realize 300k in today's "market". Zillow.com is a great example of how a "price guide" should work; they show the recently sold price not asking prices (as you do in your guide). If one were to use asking prices the housing market would be artificially higher than what is realized in the market.

I also think that price guides give collectors a false sense of hope when it comes to selling their collections. For example, a dealer should be paying them $10/g for Estherville (according to a price from your list) when in fact I wouldn't pay more than $6/g, which is perceived as "ripping" the collector off. This creates a feeling of animosity for the collector and may result in them not collecting any longer.

With meteorites or any other collectible for that matter, a dealer (or any person with the item) can ask whatever he or she wishes to ask. The consumer is best served by doing their own market analysis. As you pointed out there are dozens of different reasons for assigning a value to a meteorite, many of which are subjective (appearance, freshness, orientation, etc.). Even the TKW is misleading if one uses the MetBull as the standard for that. Who says that Allende is "worth" 10/g? The consumer does. Not Kevin, not Matt, not Cap"n Blood.

So while price guides may seem like a good idea and may be perceived as educational, I think they offer little to no value in the collectible marketplace. I could go on, but my fingers are tired from the Blackberry keyboard!

Matt

Matt Morgan
Mile High Meteorites
http://www.mhmeteorites.com