[meteorite-list] Tucson Auction

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 12:48:05 -0500

Michael,
First and foremost I would like to apologize if I offended you.
I am truly sorry you felt the need to say these things because I meant nothing personal.
The fact that people favor certain things in collecting was recently discussed right here on this list and we all know that "hammer" would be your favorite feature in a meteorite. I like hammers too and people have asked me why we did not collect or even photograph the dead animals at the scene of the Carancas fall. Well, to be honest, my crew never thought of it. I think it may have to do with cultural issues. Our team was mostly Bolivian Catholics. Enough said. Apparently there would have been a market for those dead animal parts but, I guess we missed an opportunity there. I had no idea.
As far as *taste* is concerned. I will leave that judgement alone.
And finally, I have no problem understanding people's
 willingness to pay high dollars for Gems from space. What my biggest problem with this concept had only to do with "consumer trust".
These Gems could never be scientifically verified. Or could they at a reasonable cost? That's all. EBay would be flooded with fake Peridot from space with "certificates of Authenticity". which can be printed by anybody. It could say something like; " I found this meteorite in Kansas and melted the metal away myself so, I certify these as authentic Gems from space". As I pointed out. there are others that already say this but, in their case it happens to be true. I am sure Keith and Dana are legit but there will be hundreds of posers to follow.
In fact it would not surprise me if we begin to see other dead bugs on EBay as well.
Again, nothing personal and please accept my apology.
Carl
--
Carl or Debbie Esparza
Meteoritemax