[meteorite-list] FRIDAY POP QUIZ ANSWER

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 12:36:50 -0800 (PST)

Hello Listers,

I would like to thank everyone that submitted an answer for the POP QUIZ.
I would like to congratulate Carl S for being the first Lister to send me the correct answer because there wasn't a 7th Lister to send me the right answer. Carl will be receiving a Weston meteorite micro meteorite fragment from the first American meteorite fall in 1807.

Question from:

Whats the highest price a meteorite has sold at auction?

Answer:

On May 17, 1998, at a Phillips auction in New York featuring the Macovich Collection, the American Museum of Natural History paid what is still the highest price ever paid for a complete slice of a meteorite at a public offering ($137,500).

http://darrylpitt.com/bio.html

The second highest price a meteorite sold at auction was an iron meteorite from Siberia fetched $123,000 (?60,000).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7066340.stm

And the third highest meteorite that sold at auction was a 355 pound Compo Del Cielo iron meteorite for $93,000.

Now it seems that two of these meteorite came from Macovich Collection which is considered one of the finest collection of aesthetic iron meteorites in the world. One can conclude aesthetic can out play the market value of a meteorite by 10 fold or higher.

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
eBaystore
http://shop.ebay.com/photophlow/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562