[meteorite-list] Impact Crater in New Mexico

From: Guenther <abe.guenther_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 18:50:49 -0500

Hi List,

I hope everyone is having a good new year.

I plan to go on another meteorite hunting trip to New Mexico soon before the
Tucson show. Would you guys think that this is an impact crater?
32?21'54.39"N 103?23'47.50"W. I remember reading about it on a site but it
appears that there are just too many craters in the area to all be impact
craters. If they aren?t impact craters what would be the possibility they
are ancient ponds for wildlife? I would imagine that as West Texas and New
Mexico dried up, any remaining wet ground would become extremely populated
with wild life and over centuries these locations would become deep ponds.

I remember such a pond in West Texas where I grew up. Natives to the area
told me it was a place that buffalo came to drink and cool down. It was also
a pretty big impression in the ground and if you didn?t know better, you
would think it was an impact crater. I would imagine that a big heard of
buffalo could make a pretty lasting impression in the ground.

How about these 34? 0'51.00"N 105? 8'41.46"W? I notice a huge scatter of
craters. Is much known about these or what they are? There are a lot of
these ancient scars for several miles around. If they aren't impact craters
it would be interesting to know what they are.

Abe Guenther