[meteorite-list] New Meteorite used as Neolithic Tool

From: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 20:23:34 -0800 (PST)

I know very little about Neolithic tools from Morocco, and so, I may be totally wrong about this object. But when I personally see the term "discoidal", I immediately visualize the American Indian discoidal, an example of which Phil posted earlier.. It was used in a game called " chunkey ", and is usually a quite beautifully made, "bi-cupped stone disk" artifact. Sometimes they are drilled thru the center, but most often they are not. I have been lucky enough to find examples of each in the fields here in Arkansas that long ago were Indian village sites. Here are links to 2 examples, one drilled, one not. (These are links I found on the Net, and are not my personal collection pieces, although they very much resemble examples that I have found.)

Drilled discoidal:

http://theartifacthunter.com/images/DrilledDiscoidal.jpg

Non-drilled discoidal:

http://www.americanindian.si.edu/searchcollections/multimedia/4019/334/042.350x350.jpg

 And here is a link to the game they played using the stone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chunkey

 I agree with the opinion that this tool fashioned from a meteorite resembles the so called "nutting stone", or "cupstone". I have found several of these on ancient Indian sites as well. Unlike the beautifully crafted discoidal, they are usually quite crudely fashioned.

? Once again, I emphasize that I only know about American Indian artifacts, and I may be completely wrong about this meteorite and its correct terminology as a Neolithic tool. But if I had been lucky enough to have found this meteorite-tool IN AMERICA, I would have definitely thought it was a meteorite that was used as a "nutting stone"... NOT a "discoidal".?

???Best,
? Robert Woolard