[meteorite-list] Tucson Gem & Mineral Shows GPS File Update

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 14:42:45 -0800 (PST)

As previously promised, I have updated my GPS POI file of the Tucson Shows for 2011.

I have removed some smaller shows that have gone defunct since last year and added a few brand new larger shows to the file. I have also corrected a few locations and updated the names of shows that are still the same, just with a different name.

The biggest change I've made this year is that I have added new entries with the name of the place a show is located. This way the user can look for a specific show or a place while scrolling or searching the file.

For those attending, Blood's Meteorite Auction location is contained in the file too to make it easier for first time attendees to find.

The file is in Garmin GPX format. You can open the file in Google Earth even if you don't have a GPS. If you have a unit that can;t read GPX format, let me know privately what format your unit can read and I might be able to convert it for you.

The file can be found on the POI Factory site at

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/24678

Simply download the file and install it on your GPS as you do any other poi file.

For visitors (or residents) to Tucson, I have a number of other Tucson and Arizona related POI files on that site too. Of particular interest to meteorite people, whether they will be in Tucson for the shows or at some other time, is

?Optical Valley? http://www.poi-factory.com/node/17651

It contains the location and description of all of the professional telescopes around Tucson, as well as places on the U of A campus, including the Steward Observatory, the Mirror Lab and Flandrau Science Center & their public mineral and meteorite collection.

Saguaro National Park is the only National Park that is split into two parts with a city sitting in the middle. For those wanting to get out of the stuffy rooms for a while and experience the fresh desert air, most head out to Saguaro West as it is the closest unit to the city and all of the shows. It is also near the Desert Museum, but I think East is much nicer and much less crowded. I think you'll be well rewarded by the effort to head out to East.

Either way. the file contains all of the Visitor Centers, trail heads, and other important locations for both units and can be found here:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/17355

There are some more of my files there some may find useful when visiting Tucson. Click on my image on any of the above pages to see a list of all of them.

We're expecting some bad weather today, so it's cloudy, breezy and a little chilly at 68F.
See you in a few weeks!

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography