[meteorite-list] AD(?) - Sikhote-Alin in tree

From: John Birdsell <johnbirdsell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 08:29:01 -0800 (PST)

Hi Rob and thanks for sharing the photos. The low resolution X-ray tomography
images are a bit difficult to interpret. Perhaps you could post some high res
images? From what I can see, there do not appear to be very many annual growth
rings. How many do you count? What year were these harvested?

Also two of the other 'branches' on your site look to me more like root balls
(burls) with the roots cut off as David Vann has previously pointed out about
Anne's example. They don't appear to have very many annual growth rings
either...how many do you count? Personally, I suspect that the ones that look
root-like may be examples of trees that grew on top of a meteorite sometime
after the 1947 fall as opposed to examples of 1947 impacts. Still pretty cool
though!

Anyone else have any thoughts or different interpretations about Rob's images?

-John