[meteorite-list] Black Onaping (was: Shatter Cone)

From: Larry Atkins <thetoprok_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:33:33 -0500

Dan, Bernd, All,

One needs to look closely to see the metal. In fact it wasn't really
visible until I gave it a good polish.

A little trick I have for determining if the metal or sulphide in a
rock is responsible for the magnetic attraction is to take a tiny chip
off a rare earth or neodymium magnet and scoot it around with a
toothpick, looking to see if it jumps from grain to grain. If you do
this with a rock that's magnetic and has visible pyrite in it, you will
see the magnet jump away from the metallic material, (pyrite). Only
rarely does it jump from metal grain to metal grain. This Black Onaping
is one of those rare exceptions.

Sincerely,
Larry Atkins

IMCA # 1941