[meteorite-list] Meteorites 101

From: R N Hartman <rhartman04_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 16:54:06 -0800

Meteor, meteorite, and meteoioid:

by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company, which
is reported here to have stated that the object itself may be termed a
meteor while in flight through the atmosphere, note that dictionaries are
not the authoritative source for what an object is or is not. Dictionaries
reflect only common (popular) usage, and if it is not a technical
dictionary, more so. I remember being told as a student taking a graduate
level course in the History and Development of the English language that
dictionaries may be as much as 50 years behind the times in reflecting
current usage.

Within the informed scientific community, among those who are
meteoriticists, a meteor refers to the light phenomena of the meteoroid
while traversing through our atmosphere, and the object itself remains a
meteoroid until it strikes the Earth or whatever other astronomical body it
intercepts. Then it is referred to a meteorite. Note also the term
micro-meteorites. Sometimes these terms are used incorrectly (and sloppily)
in a popular, or non-technical sense, usually by the layman (or the news
media).

I don't think anyone has or will ever be burned at the stake for referring
to a meteoroid as a meteor, unless they are of course one of my former
students (joke)! But this is the way I have always seen these terms used
when used correctly. This is the way I learned it as a student who received
a degree in Astronomy from U.C.L.A. and who studied under one of the world's
most respected meteoriticists, Dr. Frederick C.Leonard, who by the way was
one of the founders of the Meteoritical Society. (Dr. Leonard was the first
Editor of Meteoritics: the Journal of the Meteoritical Society. And, he was
a perfectionist with the English Language.) I recall a number of discussions
in class over these definitions, such as "what would we call it if we were
carrying a basket, and the meteoroid were to land in the basket, rather than
hitting the Earth. "Dr. Leonard, would it still be a meteoroid?" (He would
respond by clearing his throat with a faint growl, and ignore our question.
But we knew he was fond of us!)

Ron Hartman