[meteorite-list] Meteorites 101

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 21:04:09 -0600

Bolidc:

The term was first used, in the French language, in 1834.
The French is derived from classical Latin bolis (generally bolidis),
fiery meteor, originally from the classical Greek, ?????, missile,
arrow,
or flash of lightning, akin to ballein, to throw.

Definition: a brilliant meteor with a magnitude exceeding -4,
especially one that explodes; a very bright fireball. Most dictionary
definitions mention explosion or fragmentation.

Sterling K. Webb