[meteorite-list] Meteorites 101

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 21:25:16 -0700 (MST)

Last statement on this topic (to avoid more crossing emails).

The definition I have seen is that a fireball is defined as something
brighter than Venus (so yes, about -4).

Yes, the term bolide is generally avoided, but it is still used: People
who study cratering events will use the terms impactor or bolide for the
thing tghat makes the hole in the ground. This avoids having to deal with
the object being a big meteoroid, an asteroid, or a comet.

Larry