[meteorite-list] Meteorites 101-Bolide

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 08:08:20 -0800 (PST)

Hi Jeff & all,
Though I'm not entirely clear on the details, I think I heard the term through
discussion in the past (just not fresh in my memory the details of those
discussion/lectures), but also through reading some old references.??A few years
ago, I spent some time rechecking my books when I started to hear "bolide" used
more "loosely" (or better, I heard it used differently than what I understood it
to mean).? I was beginning to wonder if I had misunderstood and had been using
the term incorrectly.? I came to the conclusion that?I was not mistaken,?so
continued to use it as before.

I have read similar definitions as given by your reference, but I just haven't
interpreted (rightly or wrongly) the last part (explodes) as indicating an
audible report.? But more of a visual indication - sometimes they are quite
dramatic, even though you still don't hear them?(you can imagine the violence of
the occurrence).? If you do hear them, that means it's fairly close by (and
great to know and experience!).? That's just the way I've interpreted very
similar definitions - but that's just me.? :)

Looking forward to a more official definition (and hoping they change their mind
about Pluto too ;-P).

Clear skies,
Mark

P.S. Thanks Martin for the interesting history!