[meteorite-list] Speaking of Weston...

From: Mark Grossman <markig_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 20:59:50 -0500

I just took a quick look as some of the reviews of this book that were
written by CT newspapers, and I will have to read the book to determine the
accuracy of some of the statements.

1. As far as the birth of American science - "science-oriented statesman"
Benjamin Franklin preceded Benjamin Silliman in giving American science a
name abroad. He was held in the highest respect as a scientist just as much
as a statesman in Europe for his electrical investigations, and attended the
salon of the Lavoisiers in Paris regularly.

2. What happened to mention of James Woodhouse of Philadelphia (1770-1809),
who had a laboratory in Philadelphia that Joseph Priestly, the discover of
oxygen, used to visit? Woodhouse also analyzed the Weston stone, but
off-hand, I don't know who has priority. I hope the book mentions
Woodhouse.

3. Weston - the first scientific investigation that proved that meteorites
came from outer space? What happened to mention of Edward Howard, L'Aigle,
Chladni, etc.?

Again, I haven't read the book yet, so perhaps the reporting is inaccurate.
But if there is any truth to reviews that I have seen, this book is headed
for trouble.

I would be interested in any comments from those who have already had a
chance to read or peruse the book.

Thanks.

Mark