[meteorite-list] What's with these weird Campos?

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 21:48:18 -0500

Hi Bob,

AFAIK, these are made by taking a low-grade ruster or "dog" and
freezing it in liquid nitrogen. Then frozen meteorite is then
shattered and it fragments along the crystal-plane boundaries of the
taenite and kamacite - the result is these "crystals" with a polished
appearance.

This process works best with coarse octahedrites of lower value like
Campo and Nantan.

Some people like them, some people don't. I think they are a neat way
to "upcycle" a lower grade piece into something more marketable, but
they are also a bit misleading because newbies may tend to think iron
meteorites naturally look that way.

Best regards,

MikeG

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com