[meteorite-list] How to compute NEXRAD radar hit times

From: Jake Schaefer <jakeschaeferml_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 15:31:03 -0800

Rob, I have verified that the 0.5 and 1.5 and even sometimes 2.5 scans
do get swept twice. Within the actual data file there is a time code
(accurate to the millisecond) for every sweep and azimuth angle as it
spins around. You also have to be careful when the radars are in storm
mode, some things change slightly. Another oddity is the elevation
angles are not constant through the sweep, they very slightly (I'm
guessing do to ground interference since every station handles the 0.5
scan a little bit differently.)

Using the NOAA provided tool can be difficult at times. It's not the
best way to look at the radar data in my opinion. I've had troubles
with the latest version of the software reading in recent files, they
switched to full high resolution for all scans and got rid of the
lower resolution high elevation angle scans and are doing them all in
high resolution now. Get some weird errors when loading data so I have
gone back to an older version of the NOAA tool when i do use it.
Mostly I use my own tool I have developed. I am working on a way to
implement the time code into it so you can play it like a movie and
watch the sweeps go around for each of the stations. I have a blog on
the tool I have developed and hope to release an initial version in
the coming months for people to use. The original goal was to make the
software to make it easier to look through the archives and another
goal is to someday make an automated search routine to look for
meteors in the data in realtime.

http://3dradar.wordpress.com/about/

-Jake