[meteorite-list] New Paper on Trintite in “Geology Today”

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:26:39 -0500

Hi Paul and List,

I have owned several kilograms of trinitite and I have seen many of
the rare forms.

The crown jewel of my collection was a perfectly-spherical "pearl"
that was brilliant green in color and about the size of a small acorn.
 It is the only one I have found or seen while sorting through
thousands of individual pieces.

I have seen red trinitite and black trinitite. I have also seen
crystalline trinitite. The crystalline trinitite was amazing. It was
a very bright neon-green color with squarish crystals that were
clustered together into a lump. It looked the way I imagined
kryptonite would look.

Black trinitite is fantastically rare - perhaps the rarest of all. I
have only seen one tiny partial fragment of it.

Many pieces of trinitite have tiny flecks or pinpoints of metal
embedded in them. You can see these with a 10x or 20x loupe.

Teardrop trinitite is uncommon, but dumbbells are extremely rare. I
have seen several of the former and none of the latter (not intact at
least).

There are also pieces of trinitite with holes in them. I've seen
several with holes.

Here is a link to a great story about how trinitite arrived on the
private market - http://www.mine-engineer.com/mining/trinity.htm

Thanks for the links to the paper Paul. I'm going to check those out
tonight. :)

Best regards,

MikeG

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com