[meteorite-list] OT Offtopic Filter

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 12:24:16 -0400

When I first started reading the messages on this list a decade ago, I
felt similarly to Sergei. But since then, I've learned to be more open
to others' interests and have learned a lot in the process, as Mark
points out. I used to hate the for-sale messages and for some reason I
thought they had nothing to do with the list; boy have my old
perspective been quashed...but the least interesting to me now are the
threads that are completely off-topic and should IMO be directed to the
moderator if absolutely necessary: complaints about what others should
or should not post (within reason).

This isn't a complaint about Sergei's comment as much as a recognition
of the challenge faced by Art in keeping the sanity of the list as
"lively" and "interesting". This list has rehashed the moderation and
policing (off-) topic so many times that a very significant amount of
carpal-tunnel on the delete button has developed on that subject. There
is another option - the compiled email of list posts you can receive.
It worked great when I was on it and allowed me to fly through the
messages. While you can't save individual emails with it, you can just
scroll through the daily activity without wearing out the keyboard -
just the mouse -

Meanwhile, for every complaint, wouldn't it be great if the irritated
person, instead of complaining and usually setting off this cascade of
pent of mostly subjective passion on subjective, composed some lively
discussion material and content themselves to re-direct the direction
of the list. My appreciation goes out to those list members who
patiently come up with new directions for the curious and enthusiastic
list members and I love this list mostly for that - the unfettered
enthusiasm and pure passion. Without you, the list would stagnate and
not be so distinguished.

Other lists like meteorobs may have a thread about whether anyone has
seen any meteors in Hercules and an answer "I saw two", which can go on
and on, which are very useful to some, but somehow lack the passion
that makes this list an exciting place to be. The Cometobs list just
generally sends coded numbers back and forth among enthusiasts,
wonderful lists in their own right, but then there's the Meteorite-list
which you can pick up a cup off coffee and be amazed as well as driven
up the wall, and with no shortage of peer review on demand.

Best wishes
Doug