[meteorite-list] meteorite or not?

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 09:36:27 -0400

Hi List,

I suspect that these rocks are industrial slags that were dumped into
a nearby river. Over time, the slags become smoothed (tumbled) by
river action and some enterprising individual stumbled across them and
decided to start selling these odd rocks. At first, it is possible
that the seller(s) did not know the true nature of these specimens,
but after several years of being told they are fakes, they should know
better. Now they are intentionally selling these slags as meteorites.

There is probably a big foundry or factory near a river that is
dumping this stuff and there is no telling what trace poisons or
hazardous compounds might be present in these slags.

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com