[meteorite-list] DAWN drives up to Vesta

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 01:12:47 -0500

Doug, List,

I suggest the very detailed "Dawn Journal" postings
by Dr. Marc D. Rayman, Chief Engineer. Of course,
he's busy right now! The last Journal log was June
23, 2011, but the earlier extensive Journals have a
lot of information. They can be found at:
http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/journal.asp

On June 1, Dawn was closing at 540 mph. By
June 23, about 250 mph. Currently, it's within
your local speed limit 55-65 mph. Hands on
the wheel and eyes on the road.

    "The spacecraft will glide into a very high orbit
in late July and continue thrusting, gently as always,
until early August, when it will arrive in its survey
orbit at an orbit at an altitude of about 2700
kilometers (1700 miles)."

You will note that Dawn is AHEAD of schedule
now, gaining it more time at Vesta. Ion drive is
like a video game -- play it right, you get bonus
points.

    "In survey orbit, the probe will be about 2700
kilometers (1700 miles) above the surface. During
the approach phase, navigators will measure the
strength of Vesta's gravitational tug on the spacecraft
so they can compute the giant asteroid's mass with
much greater accuracy than astronomers have yet
been able to determine it. (The mass is calculated
now using observations of how Vesta perturbs the
orbits of other asteroids and even of Mars.) That
knowledge will allow them to refine the survey orbit
altitude, and they may target it to be somewhat higher
or lower, depending on whether Vesta is more massive
or less massive than the current calculations show.
The sequences for acquiring science data are being
designed to accommodate a reasonable range of masses.
    Dawn will be in a near-polar orbit. Its trajectory
will take it over the north pole (which will be in
darkness, because it will be northern hemisphere
winter at that time), then over the terminator (the
boundary between the illuminated and unilluminated
sides), down over the equator, over the south pole,
and then across the terminator again to pass over
Vesta's night side. Such an orbit allows the spacecraft
to have a view of virtually every part of the lit surface
at some time. Each revolution in survey orbit will take
2.5 to 3 days to complete. While this may seem like a
leisurely pace, the spacecraft will be busy the entire time.
    The primary objective of survey orbit is to get a broad
overview of Vesta with color pictures and with ultraviolet,
visible, and infrared spectra. The camera will obtain views
with 250 meters (820 feet) per pixel, about 150 times
sharper than the best images from the Hubble Space
Telescope. The mapping spectrometer will reveal much
of the surface at better than 700 meters (2300 feet)
per pixel."

Actually finding the Pole (so you can line up for a polar
orbit) has been a problem. North? South? East? West?
Front? Back? Which pole? Vesta's irregularity poses a
limit on "How low can you go?" Interplanetary Limbo
can be hazardous to your spacecraft...

Sterling K. Webb