[meteorite-list] Children's Lit (was OT^2 Vesta)

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 17:38:48 +0000

Oohhhh boy.? As a children's librarian, this is a tricky subject.? Comparing _Charlie and the Chocolate Factory_ to _The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet_ is rather like comparing fresh, perfectly ripe strawberries to filet mignon.? Both are food, both are wonderful in their own way, and both may not be to one or another person's taste (one may be a devout vegetarian, while the other has an allergy and an aversion to strawberries).? Since both have apparently stood the test of time (we have copies of both in our library, and both still circulate), I am happy to see them simply being borrowed and reread.? Presently, the trick is finding books that pry children away from their console games and Facebook to read.? Harry Potter, although not exactly great literature of the caliber of Huckleberry Finn, did that in spades, and introduced a generation of kids to the idea of reading for pleasure.? If it gets them to read, I grit my teeth and find them Hannah Montana or the novelization of the Transformers mov
ie.? Teaching kids to read for knowledge or discrimination can come later; the first thing is to get them to read at all, and develop that habit.

Boy has this thread taken a long strange journey!

Best!
Tracy Latimer