[meteorite-list] Photos of Holbrook Anniversary Hunt & Finds

From: Erik Fisler <phxerik_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 11:49:53 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks All!

Jeff - I'm using the Canon XSi. It's not about the camera, it's about the lens.
I have a $1200 lens on a $300 camera! I just bought the new Canon 100mm f/2.8L
Macro USM.
Don't make the mistake and fall for the megapixel trap. Too many megapixels
make for smaller pixels which makes for more grain! >:(

On a point and shoot, 3MP is perfect, anything more than 5MP is insane.
On a consumer or Semi-Pro DSLR 8MP is perfect, anything more than 12MP is
insane.
On a Pro level DSLR 12MP is perfect, anything more than 22MP is insane.
Problem is the marketing departments want you to think more MP = more
definition.
This ONLY matters when printing bigger than 8"x11"

A good set up would be any basic Canon DSLR used in good condition or new. I
know fashion photographers and even wedding photographers who have these basic
entry level cameras and make $100k to $150k a year through photography with
amazing photos. Remember, it's all about the lenses. So if you buy a camera just
buy the BODY ONLY. because stock lenses suck.
Examples:
XT - (8MP)
XS - (10MP)
XSi - (12.2MP)
T3 - (12.2MP)
XTi - (10.1MP)
T1i - (15.1MP)
T2i - (18MP) WAYYY TOOO MANYY PIXELS but HD video is worth purchase.
T3i - (18MP) WAYYY TOOO MANYY PIXELS but HD video is worth purchase.
50D - (15.1MP) <--- semipro body with sturdy magnesium form factor.

Here are some nice lenses that would work for shooting finds and people too. I
put stars next to my favorites. I've shot with all of these and read the reviews
on them and every single one is amazing.

- *Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
- Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro (Affordable)
- *Canon 50mm f/1.4 (Affordable, also sharpest, most fast focusing lens from
Canon)
- *Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
- Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

[Erik]