[meteorite-list] AD: Special: Truly baffling & sensational Howardite - NWA 6709 - absolutely stunning and very fresh.

From: Chladnis Heirs <news_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 23:15:47 +0200

Dear meteorite community,

with this Special we have to introduce to you an enormous oddity.
It is about a HED-meteorite of a kind, which we hadn't ever seen before in
our careers before.

It came in two stones, one of them was covered with a lush fusion crust,
wonderfully structured by thick and oriented flowlines.
And in some parts, that very crust displayed a gloss and a shine, iridescent
in all colours of the rainbow;
an effect, reminding almost to bismuth!

Please take a look to the photos, where we tried to captured the effect:
http://www.chladnis-heirs.com/new-meteorites/nwa6709.html

The interior was no less a riddle for us.
The distribution and sizes of the various fragments and clasts were unlike
we had seen in any polymict HED before.
A variety of clasts is of a kind, like we never had recovered in any Vesta
meteorite. Please take a closer look to the slices and you will share our
surprise.

And a very few of these clasts develope due to their microscopically
lamellae-texture a fire like an opal, if turned around in the light.
The response to a magnet is very inhomogeneous within the slices,
although no differences are visible to the eye
and all in all the interior has a somewhat dull yellowish tint - although
the material is very fresh - and that tint and the circumstances made us
initially think, it might be diogenitic.

It is under classification at Dr. Anthony Irving and the values say, that it
is a shocked howardite.

We crafted now a set of polished sliced of all sizes, to share this
exceptional material with you.
Please acknowledge that we have kept the price, despite of the for us so
unique properties of the material, well affordable,
for everybody staying able to add a specimen of this truly exceptional stone
to his collection.
And an addition it is, also for the most experienced veteran collector.

Earlier today we had published the Special in the German forum, therefore
not so many specimens are left.

For the largest slice we can offer a discount as it is the only one, which
isn't coplanar.

And finally, the specimen named "piece #2", which we chose to illustrate
best that rainbow-bismuth-gloss of the fusion crust on the first linked
page, is available too. It weighs 119.2g and we're accepting offers.

Here you are now:
http://www.chladnis-heirs.com/specials/special-nwa6709.html

Best Regards,
Stefan & Martin

Chladni's Heirs
Munich - Berlin
Fine Meteorites for Science & Collectors

http://www.chladnis-heirs.com