[meteorite-list] Holbrook under the microscope...

From: Jim Wooddell <jimwooddell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 05:28:24 -0700

Hello Nick and all!

Thank you for posting your pictures. I find the small Holbrooks fascinating.
And, it really is pushing me to invest in a microscope. I found a
little iron there this weekend. It's a beautiful nickel iron blue,
and may be oriented. However, it's small enough to require a
microscope to really look at it. There are three things it could be,
possibly. A. Part of a mass that fell out along the way and burned in
the atmosphere. B. A new find. C. Not meteoric at all.
I am not sure anyone can test something that small, but honestly do
not know how small one can test (not destructively) or have any
interest in doing so???

In 1941, there was an article written, maybe by Nininger...can't
remember, about three scientist finding the smallest meteorites and
they used the ant hill technique at Holbrook.
At that time, it was also mentioned it would change how science looked
at meteorites, but has it?

  I think my finds can match their's and I think your finds can also
match them. I know it's a challenge weighing them as they are so
small. I can not breathe around my grain scale when measuring and it
takes about 5 minutes per measurement to get the scale to stop
oscillating!

I think most of the finds have been small at Holbrook. If you would
like a copy of the results page, or if anyone does, I have that to
share. These are the totals for each persons finds for the day.

Was good meeting you and talking with you. Hope you come back for the 100th!

Best!

Jim Wooddell