[meteorite-list] AD: Special: Truly baffling & sensational Howardite - NWA 6709 - iridescence

From: Marc Fries <mfries8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 10:47:39 -0700

That brings up a good question, then - is this iridescence the result of
weathering, or does it come from heating? Either could cause mild
oxidation. I had assumed that the iridescence I saw in basalts came
from weathering, but perhaps it was a consequence of heating. Basalt
gets plenty hot. :-) I like this discussion. Thoughts?