[meteorite-list] A sweet PLANETOID by any other name ...

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 01:23:09 -0400

"just an asteroid"

Awww, come guys,

VIVA PLANETOID VESTA!

  ... Remnant protoplanet is perfectly fine description and so what if
"just an adjective" is being dropped! They are not required in the
English language unless the context is obviously misunderstood. Agreed
that it is a little nutty to think Vesta would dynamically grow into a
planet at this point - but that is only one point of view on what a
protoplanet is and while a lot of people might insist they know better
what a protoplanet is because it sounds like a somewhat scientific
term, the definition is just, well, just not there unless someone wants
to massage the literature to create an upwelling of passion among
scientists that have nothing better to do than carve out new
definitions out of what we all have settled already, and then to
educate us on our improper usage which they work up in foolish,
ramrodded, not properly peer reviewed meetings by all interested
parties.

To NASA's credit, DAWN's stated mission is to make a trip back to the
point in history by hoping Vesta in fact is a remnant protoplanet in
the truest form. So in the context of Dawn, while it may serve NASA's
publicity, unless someone has an axe to grind against Vesta because of
the well-deserved passion and euphoria of all of the growing Vestal
crowd that just wants to have a good time, IMO, NASA is well within its
bounds.

That is not to say that that for every opinion there is not an equal
and opposite opinion, but this is not scientific; it is much less
scientific at least than the "Great Planet Pluto debate" garbage many
of us got caught up into and that wasn't scientific. Speaking of self
serving, if geologists ran the show, there would be no problem calling
Vesta a planet even. Astronomers somehow feel that when something is
far out in space that somehow makes it their exclusive domain.
However, though astronomy is my first true love, IMO it is time to
defer to those specializing in planetary geology, especially bodies
other than earth. Yeah, I know planetary geologists and astronomers
are now just like the delocalized mesomeristic electrons in Kekule
benzene diagrams ;-) Right.

Pure opinions ... Vesta, however, from a classical view is definitely
not "just an asteroid". Asteroids are those star-like things that
don't move much against the background and are most frequently just
points of light on photographic plates and these days in the domain of
patient and gifted people like Rob to pick out of noisy backgrounds.
Vesta is thought to be actively bombarding earth with fragments and is
brighter than planet Uranus at her best. So, just to be a little self
serving myself, I'll get ready to announce a new sale of Tatahouine's
at great prices, and I think I'll call Vesta a planet. It'd probably
be good for marketing, as if no scientist ever marketed his passionate
work in the history of the age of reason by selecting the words that
suited them! Nah. I love Vesta as a planetoid, but that is just my 2c.

Peace, Vesta has just graduated and is on its way to becoming the most
studied roundish, formerly volcanic, big object at 2.3 or so AU in the
Solar system ... my fingers are crossed that the mission goes well.

Kindest wishes
Doug