[meteorite-list] Craters _at_ -44.602245 -68.356722

From: Rich Murray <rmforall_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 23:04:03 -0700

That was a fun read, Ted Brattstrom,

Here's another good area in Argentina, and a crater I visited in Kauai:

-44.674044 -68.059731 .740 km el

-45.139829 -68.360533
1.36X.41 km size NNW,
.472 km el low at NNW bottom,
112 m below .482 km el plateau W of low point,
shows as usual no high rim,
confirming the formation by erosion
within a few seconds of
high density very hot directed blast
from air burst of ice comet fragment
arriving at perhaps 35 km/sec at low angle,
maybe 10-45 deg to ground --
common white minerals may arrive
from impactor.

-45.207627 -68.384444
2 km size crater on plateau,
with many fractal craters close together,
.378 km el low,
94 m below .452 km el plateau to NE,
with .2 km size crater on SE rim, .419 km low,
29 m below .448 km el plateau -- while
the very similar rim slope in angle and height,
that is the outer boundary of this long NS plateau,
is evidence that a much vaster plateau surface was
ablated away by the barrage of air burst comet fragments,
not by previous or subsequent massive water floods.

The plateau surface in general must have been partially melted and
levelled during the geoablative process.

Four fine ground photos on Google Earth N of this location show some
of the flat dark and red layers in this region:
Los Altares, Chubut Argentina, ground view,
-44.725178 -68.611603 .322 km el,

from ted brattstrom volcanoted at yahoo.com
reply-to ted brattstrom <volcanoted at yahoo.com>
to Rich Murray <rmforall at gmail.com>,
"meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com" <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com>
date Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 7:50 PM
subject Re: [meteorite-list] Craters _at_ -44.602245 -68.356722
7:50 PM (11 hours ago)

Aloha -

I had a quick look, sure looked like volcanics - looked farther
around, really looks like volcanic craters!!!

I figured I better really check - so, a quick one.... "geological map
argentina" in google

http://geology.about.com/library/bl/maps/blargentinamap.htm

Yup, Cretaceous-Tertiary volcanics...

[ Rich Murray: Dennis Cox says surface rocks melted by air bursts are
often mistaken as volcanic. ]

Alas, not all craters / circular features are impact craters...

[ Rich Murray: According to simulations by Mark Boslough, air bursts
result in complex directed jets at over 5,000 deg Kelvin, capable of
melting sand into glass, and much more... I see that the jets can
create a huge variety of features on the ground -- typically shallow
and rimless complex carvings. ]

(all of my local craters are non-impact, and they are exciting enough!
much as I enjoy impact craters. The first 2 are about 5 km from my
house, the 3rd is about 8-9 km away)

[ Rich Murray: http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/maps.html

Pu' u O' o volcano, Hawai'i
Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park
19.388960 -155.110755 .801 km el

19.151552 -151.502513 -5.5260 km el
question: what is this? typical of deep ocean floors?
flat floor with ~1-4 km parallel N-S ridges,
with ~.1 km rippling E-W --
provides uniform background texture for assessing craters, volcanoes,
turbidity currents, and megatsunamies...

21.880050 -159.445920
Here's a crater I visited:
Pu'u wanawana, Kauai,
fine ground photos from circular dirt road to W and SSE.

.038 km el low, .21 km size outer edge,
16 m under .054 km el top at N rim,
26 m under .062 km el high at fork in dirt road to NEE,
20 m above paved road to SWW,

In April, 2009 I found the bowl to be full of inpenetratable thorns --
also the red surface lava at the rim top is in large and small
framents, with surface glazes and melting.
My wife was waiting in the car, and I hadn't yet learned to use my
BlackBerry Storm camera...
Note the lack of associated lava flows downhill from this feature.
How long could this crater have lasted, given the amount of rain?

half-crater, light color,
19.737979 -155.935276
1.195 km el top,
63 m above 1.132 low NNE rim,