[meteorite-list] Mammoth

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 05:11:21 -0400

"It's nothing to find a fossil in the Las Vegas Valley."

Hi Count

Come on, where's that priceless tone of spirit Guido! Is it also
*nothing* to find a meteorite in a strewn field? I recall sharing the
wonder and excitement vicariously in your post when you found a 27
pound or was it kg chondrite somewhere around there. You were awesome!
  But I have a truckload of old chondrites myself, why should I have
felt that way? Now - There are many mammoths in my own hunting area,
far, far away from Vegas. I've never had the good fortune to notice
one.

I have found a prehistoric horse's tooth looking for tektites in
Georgia, and some barely recognizeable prehistoric North American camel
part fossils athere too, and it sure made the days interesting since I
was skunked royal on that trip. I'm, sure they are common, but IMO,
the rarest thing is getting some for the first time, i.e., rare is what
you are looking for and find on that first special occasion whether you
know what you are looking for or not; when you become one with the
land. You take on the challenge she presents and the task you take
upon yourself to look for things any fat ass can buy for pennies off
eBay. Is that not the thrill of the hunt? Is it the rock, fossil, or
whatever, or is it the impact it makes on your life and the sharing of
it with like minded friends?

I don't know what Adam was up to but he sounded as if he wished nice
fossils like this one would be preserved and and that was the thrust of
his comment. I think my jaw would have dropped if I tripped over a
huge mammouth tusk or the like. After spending days on end in the
summer Nevada Sun looking for meteorites, most days with goose egg, I
imagine:

My long winded point is: Surely, but Surely, it is *something* to find
a freakin' mammoth! I wish I were there to see it peaking out of the
ground for the first time since ... the comet struck it, or so I would
imagine as any healthy hunter distorts the reality of the tough desert
into his home and rushes his passions into it - after discovering
enough of its secrets, time and time again drunk on grain of the desert
pavement and remembering the first time, the last time, and the
enchantment of the finds to come!

Peace
Doug