[meteorite-list] YD event, western meteorites

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 02:36:48 -0400

Hi Ed

What is the half-life you are considering for accurate oral
history/tradition before it becomes swallowed up in the background
noise of natural events and stories ... especially when not only
generations are born and die, but as their cultures come and go as well?

I love the interpretations you provide, but once everyone is dead, then
what? ... Second, third, fourth and fifth hand information. When
chasing meteorite falls, I have found second generation (mis)
information absolutely useless. For 5000 years, as an example, that is
around 100 stretched out generations. I would say that right now, to
track down a witnessed fall for which there is no written record to
assist with recovery locations, for example, we are looking at the late
1940's to date and that is really stretching it, before the information
loses its integrity and actually can become a liability rather than
starting with a clean slate. The half life for that is thus between 10
- 15 years..

I'm just curious to how you deal with this distortion and loss in your
research.

Kindest wishes
Doug