[meteorite-list] Quarry hunting

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 20:06:10 +0200

In 1994 a Muonionalusta meteorite was found in a gravel pit. If I
remember the story right it got stuck in a rock crusher after they
disconnected the metal alarm. A few false alarms first without any metal
in the crusher made them to disconnect the alarm as it was disturbing
their work. Then when a fresh meteorite got into the crusher it really
disturbed their work.
   :-)

I have a faint memory that they found another meteorite soon after that.
But I think that is all that was found in that gravel pit.

Morain and drumlins contains well mixed material so I don't think that
is a good place to hunt for meteorites. The bottom of the glacier picks
up a lot of rocks from the bedrock below it. Any meteorite on top of the
ice is mixed with the rocks from the bottom and the distances travelled
destroys any strewn fiels.

/G?ran