[meteorite-list] [Corrected Update] NWA 6704 (Updated Selection) Specimens - AD

From: Greg Hupé <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 14:54:45 -0400

Dear List Members,

I had a typo error and inadvertently left out the new selection of specimens
on today's earlier email, I apologize for my double post. Here is the
corrected and complete list below.

Thank you for your understanding.
Greg Hup?

Last week I announced a 'most intriguing' New Ungrouped Achondrite,
Northwest Africa 6704. It was so well received by collectors and scientists
around the world that within the first couple of days, I had to put together
a Second, and then a Third group of specimens to choose from since sales
were so brisk -- on Friday I listed polished slices on eBay at the Met-List
and IMCA Member pricing, half have already sold with "Buy it Now". Luckily I
received an additional shipment of professionally prepared slices and end
cuts from the cutter after my announcement so I could offer more to choose
from. All of the eBay auctions will end tomorrow morning for fragments and
evening for polished slices under both of my eBay seller accounts;
"NaturesVault" & "AncientDiscoveries"!

For any Met-List or IMCA members who purchased NWA 6704 specimens on eBay
using the higher "Buy it Now" pricing for fragments, I refunded an amount to
bring the per gram rate down to match List pricing AND included one of the
custom scales cubes I am adding as a "Thank You" gift for certain purchases!
If any List members have not received my discount refund, email me off-List
so I can issue that refund if it applies to your purchase!!

People are starting to receive their NWA 6704 specimens already and it is
fun to 'hear' the excitement in their voices while reading their emails
describing their thoughts while viewing the specimen in hand. One friend
even described being able to see some of the 'bubble trains' under his 20x
microscope! NWA 6704 is truly a 'most intriguing' new meteorite!

Special characteristics NWA 6704 holds;
1) Ungrouped and Scientifically important.
2) Numerous bubble trains that are currently under analysis to see if there
is still any gases trapped within some.
3) Very fresh and attractive matrix.
4) Rare minerals such as Awaruite and Very High nickel content in the metal
inclusions!

If interested in any of the specimens list below, or any of the other pieces
of NWA 6704 I haven't photographed yet, please email me Off-List for a list
with discounted prices for List Members, and do not forget that I am
considering offers for the larger fragments!

NWA 6704 - Updated availability list with MORE CHOICES from last week's
initial offering (as of this email 6-6-2011):

18.1g Slice
76mm x 41mm x 2mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0005.jpg

17.98g Slice
72mm x 40mm x 2mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0006.jpg

16.93g Slice
65mm x 48mm x 2mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0007.jpg

15.74g Slice
70mm x 47mm x 2mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0009.jpg

14.5g Slice
71mm x 46mm x 2mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0011.jpg

76.4g End Cut
(Only piece of NWA 6704 that has a 'patch' of fusion crust, from original
490-gram piece)
68mm x 36mm x 27mm
1) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0015.jpg
2) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0016.jpg

58.4g Fragment
59mm x 36mm x 17mm
1) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0019.jpg
2) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0020.jpg

38.6g Fragment
28mm x 27mm x 22mm
1) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0021.jpg
2) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0022.jpg

23.8g Fragment
30mm x 21mm x 16mm
1) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0023.jpg
2) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0024.jpg

22.5g Fragment
32mm x 25mm x 15mm
1) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0025.jpg
2) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0026.jpg

11.2g Fragment
30mm x 18mm x 12mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0027.jpg

9.334g Fragment
22mm x 20mm x 11mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0028.jpg

8.058g Fragment
25mm x 16mm x 19mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0029.jpg

814mg Fragment
10mm x 6mm x 7mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0041.jpg

802mg Fragment
10mm x 8mm x 6mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0042.jpg

18.92g (This slice is the only one that has been stabilized with removable
adhesive to see how it looked)
74mm x 47mm x 2mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/IMG_0004.jpg

27.63g end cut
28mm x 27mm x 15mm
1) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0001.jpg
2) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0002.jpg

13.5g end cut
33mm x 27mm x 6mm
1) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0003.jpg
2) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0004.jpg

4.26g end cut
24mm x 15mm x 8mm
1) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0005.jpg
2) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0006.jpg

9.112g slice
40mm x 35mm x 2mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0007.jpg

8.55g slice
52mm x 29mm x 2mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0008.jpg

7.1g slice
17mm x 15mm x 3mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0009.jpg

5.65g slice
27mm x 29mm x 2mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0010.jpg

5.034g slice
32mm x 28mm x 2mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0013.jpg

5.01g slice
29mm x 23mm x 2mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0014.jpg

3.886g slice
30mm x 23mm x 2mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0017.jpg

3.472g slice
30mm x 22mm x 2mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0018.jpg

3.046g slice
28mm x 15mm x 2mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0020.jpg

45.3g fragment
39mm x 23mm x 22mm
1) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0022.jpg
2) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0023.jpg

39.6g fragment
37mm x 32mm x 20mm
1) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0024.jpg
2) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0025.jpg

24.9g fragment
37mm x 23mm x 19mm
1) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0026.jpg
2) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0027.jpg

21.6g fragment
30mm x 22mm x 18mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0028.jpg

21.1g fragment
28mm x 22mm x 17mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0029.jpg

17.9g fragment
28mm x 18mm x 17mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0030.jpg

16.6g fragment
31mm x 18mm x 13mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0031.jpg

12.6g fragment
32mm x 20mm x 10mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0032.jpg

12.5g fragment
27mm x 16mm x 15mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0033.jpg

9.46g fragment
21mm x 20mm x 15mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0034.jpg

8.16g fragment
22mm x 15mm x 12mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0035.jpg

7.85g fragment
21mm x 15mm x 12mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0036.jpg

6.9g fragment
22mm x 16mm x 12mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0037.jpg

6.34g fragment
20mm x 14mm x 11mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0038.jpg

2.408g fragment
14mm x 10mm x 9mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0041.jpg

1.946g fragment
13mm x 11mm x 5mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/slices_frags/Group2/IMG_0042.jpg

2023-gram Main Mass (I am considering offers, please make one if interested)
12.5cm x 10.5cm x 9cm
1) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/masses/IMG_0001.jpg
2) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/masses/IMG_0002.jpg
3) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/masses/IMG_0003.jpg

548-gram Fragment (I am considering offers, please make one if interested)
11cm x 8.25cm x 4cm
1) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/masses/IMG_0004.jpg
2) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/masses/IMG_0005.jpg
3) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/masses/IMG_0006.jpg

447-gram Fragment (This piece has one tiny 4mm spot of fusion crust, no
other pieces have any other than the end cut listed above) (I am considering
offers, please make one if interested)
11.75cm x 6.5cm x 5cm
1) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/masses/IMG_0007.jpg
2) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/masses/IMG_0008.jpg
3) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/masses/IMG_0009.jpg

395-gram Fragment (I am considering offers, please make one if interested)
9.5cm x 5cm x 4.75cm
1) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/masses/IMG_0010.jpg
2) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/masses/IMG_0011.jpg

374-gram Fragment (I am considering offers, please make one if interested)
10.5cm x 8cm x 3cm
1) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/masses/IMG_0012.jpg
2) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/masses/IMG_0013.jpg

144-gram Fragment (I am considering offers, please make one if interested)
1) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/masses/IMG_0014.jpg (Notice visible
metal on exterior!)
2) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/masses/IMG_0015.jpg
3) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/masses/IMG_0016.jpg

Special FREE Offers to List Members (limit one per person):
Purchases over $200.00 will receive a Polished Black 1cm "Hup?" scale cube
made of Tungsten Carbide, comes w/ velvet bag ($40.00 Value!)
see image here take with exterior surface of NWA 6704:
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/HupeCubeBlack.jpg

Purchases over $350.00 will receive a Polished Gold-Plated 1cm "Hup?" scale
cube made of Tungsten Carbide, comes w/ velvet bag ($50.00 Value!)
see image here take with exterior surface of NWA 6704:
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/HupeCubeGold.jpg

Please email me Off-List for excellent pricing. I will give first choice in
the order that I receive emails, so please indicate a First, Second and
Third
preferences to be sure you get one of the ones you are interested in. I have
also listed several specimens under both of my eBay accounts; "NaturesVault"
and "AncientDiscoveries".

Each professionally prepared specimen comes with a color ID card from The
Hup? Collection and will be shipped in a plastic display case, Riker-style
box or Gem Jar,
depending on size of specimen, larger fragments will be shipped without
display case.

Thank you for considering NWA 6704 for your scientific or collecting needs,
I appreciate it!

Best Regards,
Greg

====================
Greg Hup?
The Hup? Collection
gmhupe at centurylink.net
www.LunarRock.com
NaturesVault (eBay)
AncientDiscoveries (eBay)(formerly 'NaturesVault')
IMCA 3163
====================
Click here for my current eBay auctions, I have two accounts now:
1) NaturesVault - http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZnaturesvault
2) AncientDiscoveries (formerly 'NaturesVault') -
http://shop.ebay.com/ancientdiscoveries/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Original Announcement>>
Dear List Members,

Over the last four months I have been reorganizing my company to make things
easier for me in order to better serve the meteorite community. To start my
official Grand Re-Opening, I have the honor and privilege to introduce to
you...

Northwest Africa 6704...
...a 'most intriguing' New Ungrouped Achondrite.

NWA 6704 is a most intriguing meteorite unlike any others known to man! Not
only does it have tremendous scientific value, it is one of the most
visually appealing meteorites with its dazzling display of yellowish-green
orthopyroxene crystals containing small grains of olivine and chromite
surrounded by large intercumulus grains of albite enclosing small grains of
awaruite (a rare very nickel-rich metal alloy). Oxygen isotope results plot
this achondrite within the field for acapulcoites-lodranites, but that is
where any comparison stops. NWA 6704 is unlike any other meteorite! If that
isn?t enough, this incredible meteorite contains an abundance of ?bubble
trains? within the orthopyroxene which appear to be devoid of fluid upon
initial inspection. Ongoing analyses are currently being performed to
measure the cosmogenic noble gases to determine its CRE age (time spent in
space) and to possibly detect trapped gases or even atmosphere from the NWA
6704 parent body!

Close-up image of the NWA 6704 matrix:
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/nwa6704matrix.jpg

Bubble trains and cleavages in orthopyroxene (width of field 0.593 mm)
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/nwa6704bubbleTrain1.jpg

Bubble trains and cleavages in orthopyroxene (width of field 0.237 mm)
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/nwa6704bubbleTrain2.jpg

NWA 6704 has a Total Known Weight of 8387 grams in a single, naturally
fractured stone that was discovered in Northwest Africa in 2010. In their
eagerness to see what was ?inside? the stone, the Algerian finders
unfortunately broke the largest pieces, as can be seen in the image of the
reassembled stone below. Also visible are the natural breaks along extended
segment boundaries which have been sandblasted over time in the Sahara,
smoothing the edges on the largest pieces and a more ?rounding? of the
smaller fragments. Oddly, NWA 6704 is almost entirely devoid of visible
fusion crust; only a single 1.5cm x 2cm patch exists, raising questions as
to how this can be. Through a determined effort over a four month period,
the distributed parts were purchased by Greg Hup? and reassembled into a
single stone resembling a ?puzzle?. It is remarkable that the finders were
able to collect even the smallest of fragments!

Reassembled mass of the NWA 6704 ?puzzle? meteorite (measures 27cm x 16cm x
14cm):
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/nwa6704complete1.jpg

Close-up image of only fusion crust ?patch? on NWA 6704 (measures 1.2cm x
2cm):
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/nwa6704crust1.jpg

Thin section image of NWA 6704 in cross-polarized light (width of field 5
mm):
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa6704/nwa6704ThinSection1.jpg

Officially accepted classification of NWA 6704 entered in the Meteoritical
Bulletin: http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=53609
(Note: the TKW is 8387 grams with 42 pieces, entry errors should be
corrected soon).

Officially accepted classification of NWA 6704 entered in the Meteoritical
Bulletin:
[TKW corrected here]
Northwest Africa 6704 (NWA 6704)
Algeria
Purchased: 2011 Feb-May
Classification: Ungrouped achondrite

History: A single, dense, yellowish-green stone was found in pieces in
Algeria, and was purchased in February 2011 at the Tucson Gem and Mineral
Show and over subsequent weeks from Moroccan dealers by Greg Hup?.
Physical characteristics: Forty two pieces fit together as a single ovoid
mass (8387 g) with rounded, shiny exterior and small patches of remnant
black fusion crust. The interior is mostly pale yellowish green with rare
darker brownish grains and sparsely distributed small grains of opaque oxide
and metal.
Petrography: (A. Irving and S. Kuehner, UWS): Overall medium grained with an
igneous cumulate texture. Small grains of olivine (0.5-0.8 mm) and chromite
(0.1-0.6 mm) enclosed within large (to 4 mm) orthopyroxene oikocrysts, which
are in turn surrounded by large optically continuous, intercumulus grains of
untwinned albite and <0.1 mm awaruite. The silicates contain curvilinear
trains of tiny rounded inclusions (2-20 ?m), which appear on polished
surfaces to be empty bubbles with smooth rounded walls.
Geochemistry: Olivine (Fa51.6-53.2; FeO/MnO=120-140; NiO=0.9-1.0 wt.%),
orthopyroxene (Fs41.6-42.4Wo2.8-3.6, FeO/MnO=81-82; Cr2O3=0.3 wt.%),
plagioclase (Ab92-93An4-3Or4). Oxygen isotopes (R. Tanaka, OkaU): replicate
analyses of acid-washed material by laser fluorination gave: ?17O 1.015,
0.880; ?18O 3.922, 3.613; ?17O -1.048, -1.020 per mil.
Classification: Achondrite (ungrouped). This specimen is unlike other
achondrites in its combined features: relatively ferroan mafic silicate
minerals with elevated FeO/MnO ratios and anomalous Ni contents, extremely
sodic plagioclase, very Ni-rich metal, and oxygen isotopic composition that
plots within the field for acapulcoites-lodranites. Weathering is low and
limited to minor coatings of pale orange desert dust on broken surfaces.
Unshocked.
Specimens: A total of 20.5 g of type material and two polished thin sections
are on deposit at UWS. The remaining material is held by GHup?.