[meteorite-list] Currently used classification scheme - Divisions

From: Jeff Grossman <jngrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 20:55:15 -0400

I think the Weisberg divisions are by no means in general usage.
Meteorite classification is chaotic and there is no standard system. I
wrote most of the wikipedia article on this subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteorite_classification

Take a look at the discussion there, which is fairly thorough. If I had
to vote for the best scheme, I'd go for the one proposed by Krot et al.
(2003), with there being two major divisions, chondrites and nonchondrites.

Jeff