[meteorite-list] Currently used classification scheme - Divisions

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 01:22:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Jim and Listers

While we are on the topic of meteorite classification here is some historical information about classification of meteorites.

De Dr?e, 1803: The First Meteorite Classification
?
De Dr?e took a great interest in meteorites and
immediately began to work out a classification of them based
chiefly on their materials, as reported by Howard and
Vauquelin, and the circumstances of their falls. He
distinguished the following four classes (de Dr?e 1803b:410):
   Class I: Stones consisting of similar materials that fell in
serene weather without thunderstorms: Salles, Ensisheim,
Barbotan, Benares, Wold Cottage.
   Class II: Stones of the same materials as class I but which
fell from enflamed clouds with lightning flashes with or
without detonations: Siena, Tabor.
   Class III: Masses mainly of malleable iron, of which the
only observed fall occurred at Agram in Croatia after a
fireball and an explosion followed by rumbling sounds.
   Class IV: All masses for which the circumstances of fall
are not verified and their compositions fall outside those of
the first three classes or are uncertain: his list of about 20
included the irons found in Siberia, Argentina, and Senegal;
stones from observed falls including Luc?, Eichst?dt, and
Portugal, and about a dozen historical accounts taken mainly
from Chladni.
?
De Dr?e?s attempt illustrates the importance given at that
early time to the circumstances of falls as though they might
have genetic significance. It also shows the immensity of the
labors that lay ahead in efforts to understand meteorites and
construct meaningful classifications of them.

Source: Ernst Florens Friedrich Chladni (1756?1827) and the origins
of modern meteorite research by Ursula B. MARVIN

I wondering if the Dawn project will shed new light on classification of meteorites from Vesta or in general?

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
eBaystore
http://shop.ebay.com/photophlow/m.html