[meteorite-list] Moon Dust

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 14:36:25 -0400

Hi Rafael,

I do not know for certain that owning Apollo moon dust is illegal. In
fact, I think samples such as Florian's tape specimens are or should
be legal. Up until recently, I just assumed that they were. The fact
that law enforcement has stepped in and is actively pursuing these
samples at least gives the impression that law enforcement thinks it
is illegal.

I am not an attorney, nor have I worked for NASA or government. But,
it seems to be commonly-accepted wisdom that owning NASA-sourced
samples is a no-no. When the US government handed out "moon rocks" to
other governments, some of these eventually found their way onto the
private market. There was at least one publicized case where the
sample was confiscated and returned.

So whether it is legal or not, the current modus-operandi of law
enforcement is to harass and prosecute owners of such samples as soon
as they are discovered.

In the case where a NASA intern stole a sample from JSC, he was
prosecuted and rightfully so. But, I do not agree with people being
harassed or arrested for trading tiny pieces of tape with a milligram
of dust on them - that is silly and a waste of taxpayer money.

You won't get any argument from me about that. :)

Law-enforcement is not infallible and the make mistakes all the time.
Just because someone is arrested for something, doesn't mean it is
illegal. But, the fact that people are being harassed for this now,
would make me think twice about trading in this material until the
legal questions are resolved.

Best regards,

MikeG

PS - nobody is going to lose this debate, because in my case, you are
preaching to the choir! :)

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com
> *which*  law prohibits individuals to have samples of lunar rocks brought by
> NASA."
This is something I would like to know as well, and if anyone can
answer this definitively, I am anxious to hear it.