[meteorite-list] 80th Anniversary of the arrival of a Green Alien from Space!

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 07:26:44 -0700 (PDT)

Listoids,
June 27, 1931, 0130 hours, Foum Tatahouine, Tunisia
June 26, 2030 hours, New York
June 26, 1830 hours, Denver
June 26, 1730 hours, Spokane
In just a few hours it will be 1:30 AM, June 27 in Tunisia (but I am not going
to stay up for it as that will be 3:30AM at my present location in East
Africa).? It?s a clear starry night at a balmy 24C/75F in Tunisia, much like the
night in 1931.
Eighty years ago today, after a very long voyage from a spaceport believed to be
located in the south pole crater of asteroid 4 Vesta, a green alien shattered
into tiny bits against the earth?s atmosphere.? The fragments rained down about
2 ? miles NE of Foum Tatahouine, Tunisia.
On the same month and day, but differing numbers of years later, a couple of
additional aliens survived re-entry and are quietly living amongst other
earthlings to this day.? Happy birthday, my diogenite brother Doug Dawn (aka
MexicoDoug)!? Happy earth-arrival anniversary Tatahouine!
A great place to catch up on the story of Tatahouine is Doug?s website:
(www.diogenite.com/tata1.htm)

My favourite factoid regarding the green meteorite is the common presence of
tiny shatter-cone horsetails decorating the coarse pyroxene crystals.? A
question for those more knowledgeable than I on impact cratering: could these
shattercones have formed during the event that ejected the material from its
source crater or are they artifacts of earlier impacts in the same location?
Best regards,
Norm Lehrman