[meteorite-list] NASA could sell...

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:29:45 -0700 (PDT)

Anne,

I knew that my post would be taken as hostile, but it was meant to be informative. Please excuse my typical curt style of writing. The 43C temps here in Tucson and a lack of sleep have me a little cranky too.

I certainly do not want to excuse these persons, nor discourage those of you who are ethical and responsible caretakers to continue to donate samples. I know first hand how desired and appreciated donated material is to those involved in research.

I just wanted to point out that sales of lunar material is a fun fantasy, but the reality is not like that.

There are two ways to change the way this attitude of some. With the recent multiple threads about scams & scammers, it will be a hard thing to do. More importantly, if those hunters and dealers who hold high standards continue to do so, and the rest of the industry continues to aspire to higher standards as well, attitudes will slowly change.

An important thing to remember is sometimes best described in a quote I have used before in the past.

"Science advances one funeral at a time" - Max Planck

?
As for me, selling any Apollo material is a non-starter. I'm sure you'd find a only very small percentage of planetary scientists would agree with the idea, if any. The vast majority will be against it and would vigorously fight against it.

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography