[meteorite-list] NASA could sell...

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:06:37 +0200

Hi Richard,

only to clarify - I wanted to express, that the strange notion that
individuals feel entitled, qua their occupation with such things, that
objects from outer space (in the truest meaning of the word, truly
"xenoliths") falling on a natural way down to Earth and which are searched
for and found by other people than them - that these objects shall
exclusively and only be at their personal disposal (if one wants to avoid
the term "possession") and that even for free,
that this weird notion is not widespread among scientists - and btw. never
was widespread in history -
but is a notion of a small minority of the specialized scientists
(a minority whose members are often not trained nor educated in that
particular sub-field of their occupation, how meteorites can be recovered at
all).

Of course it is a natural reflex to ignore such odd notions, but
unfortunately some of those, who have this notion can be sometimes very
noisy.
So noisy that they went nowadays so far, that they started to cause severe
damage and harm not only to the private collectors (as their intention is,
which can be welcomed or not), but also to the global scientific community,
to meteoritics in general as well to their employers (i.e. the state).

And else in that thread, that political ranting and raging against whatever
machine - I don't share.

ANSMET, PRIC, NIPR ect. are doing an excellent, an important job,
As well as NASA does,

see all the planetary missions! The orbiters and rovers on Mars, the Dawn
mission, and almost forgotten Cassini, the Titan probe, Genesis and and
and...

So endlessly more and fantastic than in the Viking-Pioneer-Voyager-age.

But public, and partially this list too, doesn't even notice that anymore,
in the flood of the media these missions perish, so spoiled are we,
that we even don't take notice anymore,

of the most sensational and overwhelming pictures and data (coming almost
daily in) from new and strange worlds,
mankind ever had.

Amen.
Martin